Wednesday, April 20, 2011

FAQ

1. How is the quest financed?
   I financed the entire quest; that includes air and land travel as well as hotels and paying for certain events/fundraisers.  I also stayed with several friends along the way, which was great bonus.

2. How many miles have I driven?
   I have logged over 21,000 miles during this quest, thankfully I drive a Hybrid.

3. What will you do for your next adventure?
   To visit a club in each of the contiguous states, in one trip, I am planning to do this with another Rotarian and we plan to stay with Rotarians along the way.  We will be raising funds again for Polio.

4. What has been your most memorable experience?
   Aside from my window being shot out, while driving on the interstate, there are almost too many to put in one answer.  Although being able to speak with Polio survivors and vaccinating children have been highlights of the mission.  Getting a snapshot of all the clubs has been an eye opening experience, the generosity and the uniqueness of the clubs is fabulous.  It was truly a pleasure to visit all of the clubs and events.  I hope to visit many of the clubs again.

5. Why is Rotary still funding Polio?
   Until we finish the job we started we will continue to strive toward the eradication of Polio, it is within our reach, if we do not eradicate Polio now it will come back stronger than ever.

6. What kind of job do you have to be able to make this commitment?
   I am retired from Solvay Pharmaceuticals (which has since been purchased by Abbott)

7. Why is your finger purple?
   When a child is vaccinated, the left pinkie is marked with a purple pen. This allows those administering the vaccination to tell if the child has or has not been vaccinated.  I plan to keep my pinkie purple until we eradicate Polio.

8. How many states have you been visited during the quest?
   Surprisingly only four; New York, Virginia, California and North Carolina, I also traveled to India.

9. How much money do you hope to raise?
  My goal was to bring awareness for the final push of the $200 Million Polio Plus Challenge put forth by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and to encourage clubs to hold fund raising events directly for Polio Plus.  While I don't know the exact totals from the club's independent events, between my donations and donations from Happy Dollars, members and other club donations given to me during my visits, over $8,100 is being submitted to Polio Plus in on behalf of the 200 Clubs in 200 Days Challenge.

10.  Why not just write a check rather than spending the money on travel, wouldn't that help Polio Plus more?
   Yes, I spent more than what I am donating, but by visiting 200 clubs and events, the message was heard by so many more and hopefully it will inspire others to join in the eradication efforts and hopefully all the clubs will rise to the challenge of reaching their goal for Polio Plus.







No comments:

Post a Comment