Monday, December 13, 2010

# 81 Bell Ringing for Polio Plus

Christmas on The Town in West Point, I was pleased, albeit very chilled, to participate in the bell ringing for Polio Plus in West Point.  One of our club members came up with the idea, as the Salvation Army does not have any bell ringing in town for their causes.  Christmas on the Town is an opportunity for the merchants in town to showcase their shops, various service groups to create fun activities for the children and celebrate the holiday season in our community.

In front of West Point Antiques, the club set up 2 man groups armed with buckets (displaying "End Polio Now"), Polio brochures and a bell.  We took 1 1/2 hour shifts throughout the afternoon.  It was great to see the children drop the coins into the bucket.

Mason adds coins to the bucket

Newest member Gary is put right to work, with past President Leo
Now I must tell you about what happened earlier in the day.  I teach 3rd grade Sunday school and somewhere during our activities one student looked up at me and said " I know that Rotary is trying to eradicate Polio"  Well after I picked myself up off the floor, I said why yes they are how do you know this.  To which he replied, we got dictionaries the other day and they told us about Polio and we looked up the word eradicate it means to destroy completely or put an end to.  At this time I told him I was in Rotary and that we are working very hard at eradicating Polio in the world.  Out of the mouth of babes.  Four members of our club delivered the dictionaries and did the short lesson plan, the kids were listening and understand the efforts.  I can not tell  you how happy I was that this young boy shared this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment