Friday, January 7, 2011

# 80 Stop Hunger Now

I love Service Projects, really getting involved hands on and this is one event where you can do this.  This was my second Stop Hunger Now packaging event. This brought out lots & lots of teens from several school and Rotarians from six different clubs.  After the instructions the groups went right to task and they were moving. We packaged 60,000 meals in less than 2 1/2 hours!  Well, I didn't package; my roll was Gong holder, what is that you ask?  I held the large Gong that was struck each time we hit another 1,000 meals.  I had no problem locating strikers, the kids were happy to give the gong a whack.   Several were repeat announcers.  I will say that the girls typically hit it with better precision and giving the louder sound. It was so much fun.  My neighbor, friend and friend of Rotary went with me and she was the counter of the boxes, as a retired banker she was in the right spot, I know I would have been off count.

There will be another Stop Hunger Event in Richmond this month at the University of Richmond and I know other clubs are involved with this.



The link below will take you to the report which aired on WRIC Channel 8. (Thanks Chuck for the link)

http://www.wric.com/global/Category.asp?c=190525&clipId=5372551&autostart=true

No comments:

Post a Comment