Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The First 100 Days

Jan 8th marked my 100th day of this Challenge, the half way mark.  Initially I did not have anything scheduled for this Saturday, then to my surprise, a president confirming my visit for the upcoming week asked..."Will I see you at the Presidential Retreat?"  I quickly went to District 7600's website (by the way they have the easiest District site to navigate) and found the information on the Retreat.  I quickly penned an email to the Chair who also happens to the the Polio Plus Chair for the district and asked if I could attend.  Without hesitation, he said, please come and take part.  As far as the actual visit that will be discussed in #107.

So 100 Days of Rotary, it feels like I have a full time job that doesn't pay in dollars but in gratitude and appreciation. Oh and yes, I've gained over 10 lbs, thank goodness I have signed up for the North Stafford's club Fitness Challenge.  As our District Governor, Ron Marion said "my wardrobe is shrinking", his is not the only one to shrink.  These clubs have really good food, maybe not healthy but good.  Although I will say, I have had chicken and green beans cooked every way possible, it's a good thing I like chicken and greens beans.

Now I know everyone is anxious to see how I have rated the clubs to-date.  First remember I only have visited once and am getting a small snapshot of each club.  My ratings are completely subjective and are meant with great reverence.  I have loved every club visit and this no way implies that one club is better than another.


Lets look at the stats:
107 Club visits and or events
Breakfasts: 38
Lunches: 40
Dinners:  7
Fundraisers: 6
Community service events: 6
Rotary meeting (non club) 10

What modes of transportation have I used to get to meetings:
walked
car
plane
ferry
trolley
biked
subway


Club banners  (additional $5 for each clubs that give me a banner)
Bon Air
North Stafford
Fredericksburg
Crystal City/Pentagon
Innsbrook
Kilmarnick-Irvington- Whitestone
Reston


Speaker gifts that I have received:
Mug/glass : 5    
pens: 12    
Banners: 7
Book donations: 3
ARC Donation: 1
Polio Plus donation: 1
Note pad: 1      
Candle holder: 1
calendar: 2
4-way Coin: 2

Most Energetic Clubs
Powhatan
Brandermill
Western Henrico County

Most Laid Back
Alexandria South
Fluvanna County
Lunenberg County

Most Formal
Alexandria
Charlottesville
Richmond

Best Singing
Franklin
West Richmond 


Best Music
Churchland
Richmond
McLean

Best Shoutouts
Innsbrook

Favorite Fundraisers
San Francisco: World Polio Day: "End Polio Now" Walk
Chesapeake: Wine Festival
Matthews: Rock Fish Tournament

Favorite Community Service Events
Caroline County:  Senior Gala
Midlothian: Stop Hunger Now
West Point: Healthy Kids Kick Off


Favorite Breakfast
Colonial Heights
Bon Air
Prince George


Favorite Lunch
Lawerenceville
Arlington
Princess Anne


Favorite Dinner
Charlottesville
Fredericksburg
Louisa

Biggest Donation Collected for Polio Plus in honor of my visit
Blackstone $622
Fredericksburg $212 (when told that Harrisonburg had passed their giving they threw in another $10)
Harrisonburg $204
Please note that many other clubs offered up Happy Dollars and other personal donations which are all recorded on a ledger and are all equally appreciated.  It is also noted on each blog visit what the meal cost (my donation) and any other donation offered at that time or commitment made at the time of my visit.

Again thank you to all the clubs who have welcomed me, I look forward to the 2nd half.



No comments:

Post a Comment