Monday, February 21, 2011

# 135 IOL Cataract Surgeries Matching Grant




This is the same hospital we visited last year and while much of the equipment may seem old by our standards here in the states, it is a blessing for those using it there. $30 is all it cost to help save the sight of a person here in Calcutta by providing cataract surgery.  This clinic provides the surgeries at no cost to the patients.  The eye clinic was our signature project of the visit this year, with members of the team bringing donations from their clubs totaling over $7000 which will go to a matching grant with the Calcutta Central Club.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hospital also had an eye bank.
 It was late in the afternoon when we were leaving the hospital when 8 patients came out the front door all holding each other's hand, the blind leading the blind is all I could think of.  I asked to take a photo of the group when the woman in front (purple shawl) shook her head no.  So I was putting my camera away when she stood upright to attention, in a way of saying okay, I'm ready for the picture, I quickly obeyed her request.

No comments:

Post a Comment