Thursday, March 17, 2011

# 161 Cary-Kildire


Okay, so many are wondering why the blog hasn't been updated.  Well I'm back and ready to go now, I have been busy traveling within Virginia and North Carolina to the point when I finally had a free day, I simply needed a Rotary-Free day with my son and fiancee'.

So back to the clubs,  Cary-Kildire is a great dinner club.  My fellow RLI faculty member Rick Steadman is a member of this club, and when I told him that I would like to attend a meeting he said "most definitely, come visit us".  It took me a while to figure out exactly where they met, but with Rick's help I arrived just in time.  The dinner is catered and had a nice pasta and great salad selection.

What a lively bunch and a very active group at that. There was fun banter and lots of Happy Dollars. When I spoke and told the group that I rate the clubs on a variety of areas, I was quickly offered a glass of wine, they are most hospitable!!! 

Caroline and Great Grandfather's brace
Then.............Now


Member Larry Smith with his father's Polio Brace
Participated in a NID with son Kyle to honor his father.
 I was pleased to meet three club members who had particpated in an NID in Ghana in 2006, two of whom are a father and son honoring a Grandfather(contracted Polio at age 3) who wore a brace throughout his life. A photo of the brace is shown above with three year-old great-granddaughter Caroline Smith, who is happy that she does not have to worry about contracting Polio and hopes all children can run and jump like she does. With the work Rotary, Unicef and the WHO are doing we will one day be Polio Free and no child will be crippled by Polio.
A very fun club

NID members Larry and Kyle Smith

Name Badge


At the tables are blue buckets for the Coins for Alzheimer Research and Treatment. I saw this same bucket at the Crabtree Club, this is a state wide Rotary initiative, wherein pocket change is collected each week for CART.  So I emptied the bottom of my purse.  This club also has unique, silver name badges wherein the rotary emblem is a cutout to which gives dimension to the pin (unfortunately they did not photograph well). 


The speaker gave the group insight to the role of the academic support services that are provided to the athletes at NC State.  A very enjoyable evening.  I also want to thank the club for the banner, love the tartan plaid design
Meal $15
banner $5
donation $33

No comments:

Post a Comment