Monday, March 21, 2011

World's largest Rotary Wheel



File image taken in 2001
Springtime at the wheel

The gazebo behind me is the center of the wheel

AG Don Adkins

First and foremost I want to thank AG Don Adkins for making time to show me the World's Largest Rotary Wheel at Greenfield Lake last Wednesday (March 16th).  Started as a project for the 50th anniversary of Rotary it must be seen from the air to get the full image.  At 240 feet in diameter wheel is a permanent park for all to enjoy.  This past weekend the six Rotary clubs in Wilmington gathered together for a re-beautification and restoration event where 234 Encore Azaleas were planted, and the Bradford Pear trees were transforming their blooms into leaves.  In the center of the Wheel is a gazebo that was added in 1965 and sod from a football field was recycled for the grass areas last month.  The six Rotary Clubs in Wilmington are very proud of this landmark and I very much enjoyed the tour and history that Don shared with me.  On April 8th the clubs with the Wilmington Parks department and Cape Fear Garden Club will host a ribbon cutting for the opening ceremony of the Cape Fear Garden Club Azalea Garden Tour at this site.

 I will note that while I did some research I found a Rotary Wheel in Oldham England that claims to be the largest Rotary Wheel, built in 2005 for the 100th anniversary of Rotary, at 29 meters it is one-third the size of Wilmington's wheel. But this wheel does have the correct number of cogs, 24.



No comments:

Post a Comment