Friday, March 18, 2011

# 182 Morehead City Noon






I expected today’s meeting to be very somber with the passing of member Wayland Besset just ten days earlier.  But it was a celebration of Wayland’s life and service to Rotary especially his service to Meals on Wheels. His daughter, Debra spoke of her father’s commitment to serving those in need.  Even on holidays when meals on wheels did not deliver, he and the family would cook and deliver meals to those alone, bringing smiles and companionship.  She wanted to thank the Rotarians who were so much a part of his life and how each was a true brother/sister to him.  While I did not meet Wayland I learned he lived his life by the 4-way test and served others with a loving spirit that was an example for all to follow.

The group met at the Harborview where Wayland was and Bill Conte is a resident.  Bill with his wife, son and daughter-in-law, shared not only a meal but stories of Rotary and his career as the Police chief.  Bill had us all in stitches with his stories and it gave me a glimpse of not only Bill’s history, but that of the club.

After giving my short version on my mission, I was surprised again by the generous nature of this district and club, they like Lenoir, offered $200 for my 200 clubs in 200 days. I know that Rotarians are generous of heart and wallet, but I still am very humbled when others offer additional donations for Polio Plus.

Now, the food was fantastic, shrimp rolls and a lemon pie that was heavenly, yes I ate it all!  I have decided that the diet will have to wait until I have finished with the Challenge on April 9th. And I saw two new things, first was a Foundation Drawing, this is a great idea for enticing new and sustaining members; ten members sign up for the drawing; the 1st week a name is drawn, the club pays $10 and the member $90 to the foundation, then each week the number goes up on the club side and down on the member side by $10. This I is how I understand the drawing (any member please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken).  Secondly, and I will say ouch….was the singing of an original rendition of Happy Birthday, if I said it sounded like the moaning of a love sick moose I may be close to what this collective group presented.  I will have to make a new category for this.  Lastly, I had the pleasure to see several friends from past NIDs and the Zone.  Thank you for allowing me to share this special day.
Meal $10
Banner $5
Donation $200

No comments:

Post a Comment