Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Herndon # 158



Wow, I don’t know how many cups of coffee the greeter had, but he was supercharged in the very best way. He had more energy than the energizer bunny. My visit to Herndon was brief, but I think I learned more about the club in 20 mins than clubs where I have spent hours at. The sergeant at Arms shared with me that she joined Rotary because of Polio and the Polio Plus program, not because she had a personal story of Polio but rather she was looking for something bigger than herself to be a part of and when she visited a club. The program was on Polio and she was transfixed on being a part of the eradication efforts. Another member shared that he was a Polio survivor and has dealt with post Polio syndrome.

A gentleman dressed in 1600’s navy attire, came up to me and said; “I assume you know who I am”…to which I sheepishly replied, “Today’s speaker” Well, I am Admiral Herndon, for who this great town was name for”. So, I am not up on my northern Virginia History but I feel there is a great story here. I disappointed him, by saying that I would not be staying, but I would like to read more about his adventures. I feel he was quite entertaining.



The club meets at the Amphora Diner and much to my surprise is the first plated breakfast I have come across during this journey. It looked delicious, but I left after my quick talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment