Friday, November 12, 2010

#54 South Richmond (7600)

This jovial group loves some good banter, I met several members who fly over, drive through or jump out of perfectly good airplanes in West Point.   It's so nice to have some connection to the members.  My contact was Jay Lowden, who was a Korean War vet and being Veteran's Day, proudly wore his colors.  This singing group sang the theme songs for the Army, Navy, Marines & Air Force (the Coast Guard song was unfamiliar, but they too were saluted).  President Andy let me address the group during the Rotary minute for Polio Plus.

When I mentioned that I talk about the food in my blog, some were nervous, but the food was quite good.  The soup and cake were a nice addition to the normal fare.  Two members of the Richmond Club (Note: it is not the Downtown Club, as they will quickly point out) came delivering the tulip bulbs that many members had pre-ordered.  With containers left at the end, I made a purchase of  5 cartons, which I think will go to one of the rental properties or be given away as gifts.

The speaker from the University of Richmond spoke about the Leadership School within the University and particularly ethics, which is cornerstone of the 4-Way test.   If everyone followed the 4 Way test like Rotarians do the world would be a better place.
One member came up at the end to tell me how he was a member of a Rotary club in the Philippines when Polio was first addressed in a DSG.  And yes, love the sign warning scooters will be fined.

Meal $13

No comments:

Post a Comment