Friday, November 12, 2010

#55 South Hill (7600)


This is a large club for such a small town.  Being my third club of the day, I really was not hungry, so while the food looked very good and I do like baked spaghetti, I had a small salad.  I have a groupie, a member from the morning Brandermill club, was also in attendance.  So he took in two meeting this day; actually he was there for his nephew who was the guest speaker.

There were many familiar faces at this club, as they had a strong contingency attend the District Conference in October.  Judy was one of the members painting pinkies during the Purple Pinkie Fund-rasier at the conference.  I was informed that they have held additional Purple Pinkie Fund-raisers with great success.  When I spoke to the group, I was absolutely thrilled to see so many hands go up, when I asked; how many wore a purple pinkie at the District Conference Gala.  I informed them that my pinkie would remain purple until Polio was eradicated.

The speaker, Mike Smith, son of two club members, is a Special Forces member of the US Army, who was previously deployed to Afghanistan.  He spoke of the conflicts from 9/9/01 to the current situation.  Everything he spoke of is public information and it opened my eyes to what these young men are doing over there to ensure stability in the region.  With my nephew having been on 3 deployments and in Afghanistan now for a year, Mike spoke to much of what Chris is doing, and now I understand what his role is.

I do want to thank Duane for promptly giving me a make-up card, hopefully this blog testifies to my attending meetings.  The club donates a book to the library with the 4 way test posted in the cover, Mike signed a book and I was delighted to be asked to sign a book as well.  President Randy, was kind enough to donated the Happy Dollars to Polio Plus and the winner of the raffle added his cash for a total of $59.

Meal $15


Additional donation $59

No comments:

Post a Comment