Monday, November 1, 2010

#39 Chesapake Wine Festival





The inaugural Wine Festival supports projects for the Rotary Clubs of Chesapeake and Great Bridge. It was a beautiful day for the event and the crowds came in droves. It was expected that over 7,800 attended. When I first arrived I was at booth for the Rotary Club of Charles City, who had set up a crab cake booth. I have not been to this club as of yet, so I spoke to a couple of the members about my mission before proceeding to my appointed station.

Once at the booth I met my fellow volunteers and we proceeded to lay out the merchandise, T-shirts, hats, visors, posters & pins. Terri has obviously done this before, she took the lead and directed us on how to set up. It was perfect. I was starving so remembering the crab cakes, went to the Cape Charles club booth and was the first in line to purchase a Crab Cake, which by the way was a fundraiser for Polio Plus, I offered to help when my shift was over, but they had a full crew and had it down to a science. The Crab Cake was amazing!!!! I went back to my booth and soon others were marching towards the Cape Charles booth in search of the ultimate Crab Cake.

Sales were going well, we had one unforunate incident when a woman set her wine glass down to purchase and item and the wind blew the glass over spilling red wine onto 20 white shirts and 3 posters....ugh... It could have been worse. Well, most of the damaged shirts were purchased by the Rotarians, since we couldn't sell them at full price. I'm looking forward to learning the stats of the day's event. The music was wonderful, I did not partake in the wine, since I was driving, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I hope they have this again next year it was lost of fun!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you could join us at our Inaugural Chesapeake Wine Festival Colleen. We had a wonderful time raising money and enjoying Va, and International wines but it would not have been possible without the help of over 200 volunteers.

    For the record, we had 7,800 in attendance and raised $150,000 (net) for charity. We will be making announcements of our charitable gifts over the next few weeks to maximize exposure with the first going to the Sid Oman (Rotarian) Cancer Center. Hope to see you next year and good luck with your 200 in 200!

    David Hanson, President
    Chesapeake Rotary Club

    ReplyDelete