Sunday, October 24, 2010

#28 World Polio Day Walk






It's pouring rain, but that doesn't stop the hundreds of Rotarians in San Francisco from making their mark on World Polio Day. Had it not been a torrential downpour, I'm sure many more would have come, I believe they had about 3,000 signed up for the walk. The four districts around the Bay area jointly held this event to bring awareness to the Polio eradication efforts and raise funds. Ginger McDonald of Zone 26 was one of the organizers and let me lend a hand as a greeter. I just walked up to people asked them where they were from & started chatting, letting them know that I was on my mission. The reception was great by my fellow Rotarians. I met Rotarians from India, Brazil, Mexico, Malaysia and Nigeria as well as the friendly Californians and some from Washington. DG Jim Flamson told me that he met another Rotarian doing the same thing, I would love to meet her. Two Rotarians I met were Polio survivors, which was touching to get their perspective of this disease. They are profoundly grateful for what Rotary does.

President Kinginsmith led the group down the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building. The original plan was to walk the Golden Gate Bridge but due to construction it was rerouted. With the high winds and rain, it turned out to be the better route. Once the main group was off, I stayed back to offer assistance, I walked with Ken and Kit from the North San Jose club. We were drenched by the time we got to the Ferry Building, Kit even had her umbrella invert from the wind. Once at the Ferry building we were greeted by RI President Klinginsmith and Director John Blount.

I eagerly went up to one Rotarian wearing an NID vest from India, letting him know that I had a matching vest. I did not think to bring mine. I also only brought one Rotary pin, we did get a new pin with our shirt...love it!!!!!!

I went up w/ Ginger and the crew to help put name badges together for the VIP reception, they really were just about done. Then went back downstairs to get a bite to eat; Ken and Kit suggested the chicken and garlic potatoes, yummy.

Hopping on a Street Car I went to my hotel, where I was able to change into dry clothes and change shoes. (this is another mode of transportation to add to my list as well a plane from yesterday).

I wish I had planned to spend the week and travel to clubs in the area, they have so much energy and fun, I may have to plan a trip back when it's not the rainy season:)

Don't be surprised if I email and schedule a date in March, we'll see what happens.
I want to thank Ginger and all that I met for allowing me to share this event with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment