Thursday, October 28, 2010

# 36 Caroline (7610)



Sweet Caroline, just have that song going through my head. One of my very favorite Rotarian's and someone I greatly admire is a member of this club, George Atwell. George was the first person to introduce me to Polio Plus and what Rotary is doing to help eradicate this dreadful disease. He spoke on his NID trips, which moved me to want to get up close and personal to this cause. It was at George's urging that I go to India prior to any of the other countries.

This breakfast club meets at Sarah's Pancake house, and so I had pancakes, there is not a lot that one can say about pancakes, they were good. What I found particularly inviting is the welcoming that the club does after the pledge and invocation; they all hug. So we hugged and the meeting at hand began. I spoke on my challenge, as this club is well versed on the Polio efforts, there wasn't a lot to add. A new member was presented to the club, so congratulations to Caroline's newest member Kent. I also met two others who were in the process for membership and a Rotarian who had moved to the area and was checking out the various clubs to find which would be a good match for her. The club is going through a process to review classifications and each week a member reviews their classification. It was a great way to learn about the members.

The club's signature project is a Senior Gala for the seniors in their community, it has grown each year from 40 attendees to over 400. This gala allows the citizens to dress up and enjoy a fabulous meal served for them with music and dancing. This year it will be held at the Caroline High School on Dec 2nd, from 6-9. With the High School Orchestra playing holiday music starting at 4:00 for the early birds.

I won the raffle, $9 which the club will put in the Polio Plus as per my request. The meal was $9.

No comments:

Post a Comment